Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Magic by the book

I love to read and I am so pleased that Colin does to. He has already surpassed his own grade level in reading and just keeps getting better with every book he brings home.
He came home last week with an invitation to join Magic by the Book, now that he is in the AR (advanced reading) group.
We donate $10.00 to the program and the children each receive a book bag and patches. After Colin finishes five books in a given genre he will receive a patch.

He has only been in the program one week and received his first patch today for the "Animal" genre. He gets so excited about his progress and I love the sense of pride he has. I look back and wish I had the confidence he does in school. I hope he continues on this path. I think there is such value in programs like this. They help foster a love for learning with positive reinforcement. The child is in control of choosing the genre and titles they want to read. Colin loves to pick his own stories. He reads about things he loves and is learning a lot. Tonight's book was about bones. Even I feel like I'm back in school again, learning things all over.
"Are you smarter than my First Grader"? (lol)
Sometimes it's sad to say I'm not. I love that he teaches me new things or reminds of things I have forgotten.



No comments: