Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mosaic Stepping Stones

Over the summer all the kids and I slowly worked on a tile mosaic stepping stone project with my Aunt Debi at her house.
It was a long process, but well worth the wait.  They turned out great.
                 The above tile belongs to Luke.  With the younger kids we were going with simple images, that larger pieces of tile could be used.  Luke chose a sunburst and yes, it is black!  Artistic interpretation, what are gonna do.  He did a great job.
 The above tile belongs to Colin.  His was so refreshing because he totally came up with a design all in his own and didn't need any adult assistance.  A tree, with blue skies, green grass and the hearts are fallen leaves.  Wow!
 The above tile is mine.  I chose a sea turtle and I love how it turned out.  Considering I never made one and wasn't quit sure how to sketch it out on the stone.  I used my niece Mackenzie's sea turtle art that was published last year in a children's art book as my inspiration.  The tile pieces were much smaller and more challenging to work with.  I love all the turquoise.
 The above tile belongs to Ava.  She chose a big beautiful heart.  She used a combination of tile and broken plates to design her heart.  Yellow and blue flower plates made the heart with a variety of blue tiles as the background.  One little heart in the middle.
The last heart was completed by my Aunt.  With mostly broken plates as the heart this one was the hardest because no piece was super flat. 
My aunt and I adhered the tiles/plates and then did the grouting ourselves. We didn't want the kids to get their little hands in the messy goop. 
It was a time consuming but super fun project.  With the kids a lot of adult supervision from start to finish.
They are now great additions to our garden!

No comments: