Friday, January 28, 2011

Veggies...

With the freezing temps lately and lack of much sun my winter veggies have been coming along very slowly. I lost one barrel of red leaf lettuce do to the frost. So I was very excited when I went out one sunny afternoon to pull weeds and spruce up the barrels and found our first batch of lettuce to harvest. It was thrilling and made the yummiest salad for dinner that night. There is such a good feeling knowing you are eating something that you grew yourself. The kids were all quit pleased!

We have a barrel of cauliflower and one of broccoli. They are doing quit well, even though it has been a slow process.

The broccoli

and cauliflower are all finally budding. I was so excited. We have about 10-12 in each barrel. I can't wait until they are ready for harvesting. More sun please! I love our little barrel garden and try hard to keep it going year round. I wish I had a greater space to do some bigger stuff on a larger scale. The kids get a lot of pleasure out of it as well. Weeding the barrels and harvesting are fun for them. It involves dirt...so that's a no brainer with kids. I am hoping the space will get rocked in this spring and I'd like to make stepping stone pavers with the kids and rehab the birdhouses Papa Tom made. We have also lost several of our plants due to the frost, so I'll need to replace those as well. The yard needs some rejuvenation. Some fun projects to look forward to this spring.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Wow Krissy! Those look awesome. I totally agree. I wish I had a place to have a nice size garden. To be able to provide home grown, healthy choices to eat. Way to go and keep it up.